Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chicken Congee


This recipe is another classic recipe that I got from my mom. Whenever I'm sick, I find that I crave this congee. There is definitely something about homemade congee from mom when you are not feeling well! Hopefully, Jory will feel the same about some of my dishes when he grows up!

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups Long Grain Rice
2 cans Chicken Broth (14.5 oz cans)
6 cups Water
2 Chicken Thighs (can actually use any part of the chicken though)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 tbsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Scallion oil (add hot oil to minced scallions)
1 tsp. Dried Shrimp

DIRECTIONS:

In a large pot, wash the long grain rice.

Add water and chicken broth to the pot. You may want to add more water if you don't like your congee to be too thick. Bring to a boil.

Add chicken, salt, soy sauce, pepper, scallion oil and dried shrimp. Lower heat to medium and simmer for at least an hour.

Add water as needed for the consistency that you prefer. Also, adjust seasoning as you may want to add a bit more salt or soy sauce.

Once the congee is at the correct consistency and saltiness, ladle into bowls and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment