Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vietnamese Chicken Curry


I’ve always loved Vietnamese curry. I think it is probably because I grew up with it and am accustomed to the taste. This is not to say that I don’t like other curries…I’m actually a huge fan of curry in general, but I definitely go through stages. I sometimes prefer curries with sauces of thicker consistency, perhaps because I am looking for something different than the Vietnamese curry, which is more of soup base that can be served with vermicelli. I remember I was a little upset with my mom once when she didn’t realize that Japanese curry was of thicker consistency and totally watered down the sauce. I guess it also didn’t help that I was very hungry and pregnant at the time! In any case, perhaps now that I am becoming a mother, I feel the need to go back to basics and make dishes that remind me of my childhood. Dishes such as this one, have been extremely comforting. I hope you give it a try!

INGREDIENTS

2 Lbs. Chicken Thighs/Drumsticks
2 stalks of Lemongrass
1 Onion (cut into 2” chunks)
3 Potatoes (cut into 2” chunks)
2 Carrots (cut into 2” chunks)
2 cloves Garlic (sliced)
2 cloves Shallots (sliced)
5-6 tbsp. Curry Powder
1-2 tbsp. Salt
1-2 tbsp. Black Pepper
3 tsp. Oil
1 can of Coconut Milk

DIRECTIONS

Marinate chicken with salt and pepper overnight. In the morning, add about 1 tbsp. of curry powder to the chicken and continue to marinate.

If potatoes are wet, dry potatoes with a cloth or paper towels. Heat up wok and add 1 tsp. oil. Add potatoes and stir-fry until browned. Remove from wok into a large pot.

Reheat wok and add 1 tsp. oil. Add onions and carrots and stir-fry until browned. Remove from wok into the large pot with the potatoes.

Reheat wok again and add 1 tsp. oil. Add garlic, shallots, lemongrass and stir-fry until fragrant. Add marinated chicken and stir-fry until a bit browned on both sides. Add 3 tbsp. of curry powder and mix until the chicken is coated. You may want to add a little water. Once coated, remove everything from wok into the large pot. Cover with water, add another 1 to 2 tbsp. of curry powder and allow to bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for at least an hour.

Prior to serving, add coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed (most likely will need a little salt or fish sauce, and more pepper).

Serve with vermicelli and/or French bread. Also, have available a side dish of bean sprouts, lime/lemon, mint and bird’s eye chilies to add to bowl as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment