Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spanakopita Triangles


As my parental leave is quickly coming to an end, I have been definitely finding it hard to find the time to blog. This is not to say that I have not been cooking...in fact, I have had several theme nights and random baking occasions that I've been meaning to blog about. I will have to definitely make it a point to start catching up on this.

I had hosted a greek night several weeks back now, and I've been meaning to blog about several dishes from this night. This is one of the recipes that I attempted. I did however blend in some mozzarella as I knew a few of my friends (and hubby) are a little weary about strong cheeses. This is definitely a personal choice and you could definitely opt to use all feta if you like.

adapted from Smitten Kitchen

INGREDIENTS:

Filling:
1 tbsp. Butter
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 bunch Spinach (stems removed)
1/2 Onion (minced)
1 cup Feta (crumbled)
1 cup Mozzarella (grated)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Phyllo Triangles:
approximately 10 (17- by 12-inch) Phyllo sheets
1/2 cup Butter (melted)

In a pan, melt butter over moderate heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until browned.

Add spinach, stirring, until wilted and tender. Remove from heat and cool.

Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then coarsely chop or cut with scissors.

Transfer to a bowl and stir in feta, mozzarella and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Take one phyllo sheet and brush with some butter. Top with another phyllo sheet and brush with more butter. Cut buttered phyllo stack vertically, using your own judgement as to how big you would like your triangles to be.

Put a heaping teaspoon of filling near one corner of a strip on end nearest you, then fold corner of phyllo over to enclose filling and form a triangle. Continue folding strip, maintaining the triangle shape. Put triangle, seam side down, on a large baking sheet and brush top with butter. Repeat until all the filling has been used up.

Bake triangles in middle of oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment