Friday, June 4, 2010

Meatloaf


One thing which I thank my lucky stars about, is the fact that I get along with my in-laws. I truly feel a part of the family, which I have to be grateful for every day, particularly since we are like the Brady Bunch all under the same roof. I can honestly say that we take care of each other though, sharing various responsibilities. They have particularly been accommodating during my pregnancy, which has been a lifesaver. If you have read any of the previous blogs, mother in law or “mum” often even acts as my sous chef, helping me with anything that is needed to prep for the meal I’m trying to create for everyone. Father in law or “pop” mostly acts as a taster, but he is always encouraging, especially since we have more similar tastes in foods.

I was particularly touched when Mum taught me how to make meatloaf, which is one of her signature western dishes. Mum has a knack for putting together meals for large parties, and one of her most sought after western dishes is her meatloaf. Hopefully, she doesn’t mind me blogging about it. I know she has several versions of this recipe though. I am happy to report that everyone enjoyed my first attempt at meatloaf.

INGREDIENTS

4 lbs. Ground Beef (Ground Pork may be mixed in if you want a softer texture)
½ Cup Bread Crumbs
2 Eggs
½ Cup Milk
2 tbsp. Worchester Sauce
2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Pepper
2 tsp. Thyme
1 cup Mushrooms (diced)
½ Onion (diced)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In a large bowl, mix ground beef with bread crumbs until fully combined.

Make a well in the ground beef and add eggs and milk. The mixture should be moist. If it is still looking dry, add a bit more milk.

Add Worchester sauce, salt, pepper, thyme, mushrooms, onion and garlic and mix until everything is combined.

Form into two loaves and place on a baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1.5 hours.

Slice and serve with mash potatoes and gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment