Thursday, May 13, 2010

Vietnamese Grilled Pork Patties




Coordinating these fancy theme nights is pretty hard while being 8 months pregnant. I have to say that at some point during the cooking/setting up process, it does end up being a bit of a comedy for anyone watching (hopefully no one). I will inevitably forget that I’m doing something, all while I’m doing it. For example: I could place a dish in the microwave (to keep it warm while cooking something else), then I could be setting the table, and remember I should take the dish out of the microwave. While I’m heading towards the microwave, I could forget I was doing that and instead get the dog’s food ready and then wonder what the heck I was doing in the first place. Another incident could be that I would start setting the table and place something like the side plates on the table, head back to the cupboard thinking I should get the side plates, then wonder why there are so few side plates in the cupboard. Frightening…yep…I know…the joys of pregnancy…

In terms of this recipe, this is another great dish to go with vermicelli/rice and all of the Vietnamese fixings (pickled carrots/daikon, veggies…etc.). Having the patties, along with a few spring rolls in a bowl of vermicelli or a plate of rice also makes for a great combo. To top it off, if you have any leftovers, try making a sandwich! Hubby was quite proud that he created a sandwich with leftovers patties the next day. I would’ve liked to have taken a picture of that!

INGREDIENTS

1.5 Lbs. Ground Pork
1 head of Garlic – about 12 cloves (minced)
2 tbsp. Black Pepper
¼ cup Sugar
1 tbsp. Salt
2.5 tbsp. Baking Powder
1/8 cup Water
1 tbsp. caramel sauce (optional)

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, combine ground pork, garlic, black pepper, sugar, and salt. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.

Combine the baking powder with water and whisk until you get a nice foam. Add it to the pork and fold it in with the mixture. Incorporate caramel sauce if using. This makes the patty have a nice shine after grilling.

Marinate in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours (overnight if possible). This will make it easier to form the patties.

Form patties by using the lid of a jar, a small sauce dish, a cookie cutter, or your palms. You can also form them into more of a meatball shape if you prefer.

Heat up grill and add oil. Grill about 5 minutes on each side depending on the size of the patties. If you do not want to grill all of the patties, line the patties with wax paper so they don’t stick together and freeze the remainder.

Serve with rice or vermicelli and Vietnamese dipping sauce (see Lemongrass Pork Chops recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment