Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tahu Goreng Tepung (Fried Crispy Tofu)



This is the second entry from Indonesian night at our house. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my wonderful sous chefs (hubby and my mother in law), who have been so supportive of my cooking endeavors while being 8 months pregnant. I have to say, there would be absolutely no way I could put together these elaborate meals without their help (or at least without having severe hot flashes and possibly even getting those crazy braxton hicks contractions).

This dish was a great little side dish. I did however find, with my last couple of theme nights, that I'm actually not a huge fan of turmeric. I just don't really like the taste of this spice. I would suggest spelling/tasting it and deciding for yourself. For me though, I think I will lessen the amount of turmeric next time, and figure out a dipping sauce.

INGREDIENTS

1 Package of medium firm Tofu (700 grams)
1 cup Flour
2 tbsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Turmeric Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup Water
2 Bird's Eye Chilies (sliced)

DIRECTIONS

Cut tofu into cubes and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, turmeric powder, salt and water. If the mixture is too watery, add more flour. You may want to taste to make sure it is salty enough.

Heat up wok and fill bottom half with vegetable oil. When oil is very hot, lower heat to medium. Coat tofu with batter and fry until golden brown.

Sprinkle chilies on top and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment