Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stir-Fried Lemongrass Beef



This week, I decided to go with a Vietnamese/Cambodian theme. This is thankfully something that I'm a lot more familiar with than the previous themes. However, I am starting with an entry from this theme with a Cambodian dish which I was least familiar with. The Vietnamese dishes will definitely be hitting home more...and I'll have a few stories to tell. I think I liked more of the idea of this dish with the use of lemongrass and the colours from the peppers, however it wasn't as flavourful as I would have thought. I would perhaps remove the use of turmeric in the marinade paste, and maybe add a bit more fish sauce the next time.

INGREDIENTS

½ cup Khmer Kroeung (lemongrass paste - lemongrass, turmeric, garlic, shallot, galangal, dried red pepper - ground in food processor)
¾-1 lb beef, cut into 2 inches strips
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 small onion, sliced into wedges
3 peppers (red, green or yellow)
4 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts (coarsely ground in a food processor)
2 tablespoons oil for frying

DIRECTIONS

Mix sliced beef with Khmer Kroeung and set aside. Use your hands to massage and work the Kroeung into the beef.

Heat oil in wok. Toss in the onion, peppers and cook for about 3 minutes until onions are softened. Remove from wok.

Reheat wok and fry the beef. Sprinkle sugar and add fish sauce. Do a quick stir to incorporate the ingredients.

When beef is cooked, return onions and peppers to the wok and ¾ of the peanut. Stir-fry until all combined.

Sprinkle with remaining peanuts just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment