Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thai Corn Fritters




During the last few weeks, I have become obsessed with having food theme nights at my house, such as the Thai night that I had last night. Trying to cook for a family of 6 can be a daunting task, but it also gives you a chance to try out more dishes. As I am now 8 months pregnant, I have given up doing it all myself. Thankfully, last night, I had a couple of assistants on hand, the hubby and my mother in law. I can’t say hubby is completely thrilled to be my sous chef, but my mother in law has definitely been a life saver. I still however did manage to get a cramp in my right leg in the middle of the night though…so I guess I may have exceeded my limits a little bit.

I was a little skeptical when I put together the ingredients for these Thai corn fritters. It just didn’t seem like there was enough flour in the recipe to hold together all of the corn. In any case, I was pleasantly surprised because the final product looked fantastic and it was a great side dish. I opted out of putting diced green onions in this recipe because I’m not a huge fan of green onions, but if you’re a fan, I would definitely put them in. I also found that there were many variations of this recipe including having shrimp/prawns and/or tofu included which I think would add a different dynamic to the fritter.

INGREDIENTS

2 tsp. Red Curry Paste
1 Egg
1 can of Corn
2 tsp. Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Flour
2 tbsp. Oil
Oil to fill bottom of wok
Thai Sweet Red Chili sauce for dipping

DIRECTIONS

In a medium size bowl, warm up the curry paste to soften. Whisk in the egg.

Mix in corn, soy sauce and flour until blended well.

Heat up wok and add enough oil to fill the bottom of the wok. Drop small mounds into the wok, flattening the fritter as it hits the oil. Flip once it is golden brown on the first side, and then remove once the second side is also golden brown.

Serve with Thai Sweet Red Chili sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment