Monday, April 26, 2010

Ma Lai Goh (Steamed Cake)




I've always loved Ma Lai Goh. As a kid, as soon as I would see it being wheeled around at dim sum, I would force my parents to order a piece. As I have been experimenting (and desserts are a must when pregnant), I thought I would give this classic chinese dessert recipe a shot. In terms of the result, I thought it could actually be a little sweeter, and I would probably add a little more vanilla as well, but the texture was actually quite good and it definitely still hit the spot and curbed my craving.

INGREDIENTS

5 eggs
1 and a 1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. of vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups All Purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS

Using a steamer pot, fill the bottom with water and boil water. Line a 10" pan with plastic wrap.

In a large bowl, mix eggs, brown sugar and evaporated milk until ingredients are combined and mixture is thick. In another container, combine vanilla, melted butter and baking soda. Combine these ingredients with egg mixture.

Sift in flour and baking powder and fold into mixture until everything is combined and smooth.

Pour batter into lined pan and steam over high heat for 30 minutes. Allow to cool, slice and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment